Sunday, November 9, 2008

Saying Goodbye to the Danbarry






Today was a bittersweet day for me.  Three years ago several of us went on an adventure to start a movement on the Westside of Cincinnati Called "Vineyard Westside.  We went public on September 18th, 2005 in the Main Theater of the Danbarry Cinemas on Glencrossing Avenue.  
While our Theater was dirty most of the time, the bathrooms smelled and we never really got the temperature right; God used this little Theater to change lives during our time there.  We may never know the accurate number of people who stumbled and staggered into the Danbarry, but God does.  He allowed us to watch as the wounded and beaten up by life were transformed by God after spending time in our Theater.  
While I am very excited about our move to a new location, I will miss this Theater that we called home over the last 3 years. Thank you God for a great run in the Dirty Danbarry.  May the prayers prayed in those seats be heard even today and may your name be famous on the Westside of Cincinnati and all over the world because of what you have done through us in the most unlikely of places.

8 comments:

puddlegirl said...

God has totally used Vineyard Westside to change my life over the past 3 years, but I don't think it had much to do with the DanBarry. I think God smiled ear to ear every Sunday when he saw people coming back, even though we were meeting in that smelly theater. Having a building to call home is going to be awesome!

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

Tim, I literally just blogged something about fearing this move, and fearing a job promotion, and fearing all kinds of change in my life.

Your message yesterday was awesome! It really helped me to put this "fear of change" thing into perspective. It is simply the enemy keeping me from going to the curtain, ... keeping doubt swimming around my soul.

That dirty, old theater was the first church that made us feel at home, ... like we were a part of it. With that said, we are very excited for the move and even more excited for what's to come.

darthmom said...

We thought it was totally weird to go to church in a movie theater when we started at VWS in June. But the messages that we got from God through you guys kept us coming back! I don't care where we meet but for the sake of the over-excited children in kid's church who like to roll around on the ground, I'm glad we're moving some place not disgusting!

Kelly said...

It is bittersweet. Kind of like any move I think. The Danbarry may have been dirty and smelly (which I never realized how dirty and smelly until we started doing coffee!), but it is where many of us met. It is where many of us reconnected with God. I felt at home the first time I walked into that building.
But I know God has some big plans in store for us at this new building and it going to be awesome!

cinciann said...

We are living proof that Church isn't a building...WE ARE THE CHURCH...no matter where we meet up on Sundays to celebrate together. What a great adventure!

DanThoms said...

I must admit that until someone pointed it out to me I never noticed how dirty the theater was. This will be particularly good for the kids ministry and everyone who had to move and set up equipment every week. I'm excited about being in a neighborhood where people can walk to church.

Helen Ann said...

I, too, will miss our strange little home. I am one of those lives that has been transformed by wandering into the Danbarry with some friends who were going there. Thank you, Jesus! And thank you, Tim, and thank you, dirty, nasty theatre for being used by God in such a wonderful way.

Andrew Y. said...

I attended VWS for just a month this summer. The feeling of the spirit is definitly moving in your congeration. I know how hard it can be to leave your first "home", trust me. Be reassured that the Lord is entrusting the Refuge in an area where alot of people could use one.
I remember a message you gave about every person who's eye you meet is marked by God. I believe if you continue to minister with that philosphy, you'll continue to be able to minister those who desperately need it, regardless of location.

Tim, I continue to think about VWS, it's people and the short time I was able to attend. And... I MISS YOU GUYS.

Be blessed as you move and know you're church was a blessing to me!

Andy