Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nairobi Day 3 - Monday (At the School)






I am sitting in my bed, in a hostel in Nairobi, under my Mosquito net. In the dark…trying to figure out how to put words to this day.  As our trip continues, I find that each day shows me glimpses of God that I have never known.  As non-manly as this sounds, I cried at least twice today (once was a slight knot in the throat and a bit teary, if that increases the man factor at all).  Today was all about the kids.  We started our day at 9:00 am when Martin (our driver) picked us up from the hostel and took us to Great Commission Academy to tour the school and to see the land that we (VWS) purchased last year. 

We were able to go into the classrooms with every grade from the “baby class” as they call it all the way up to the 6th grade class.  The school currently enrolls about 160 students.  As we went into the classrooms, I was overwhelmed by these children, the things they knew, their joy for learning, their pride in their accomplishments, and quite frankly the Spirit of God living in them.

In the baby class, the teacher was showing pictures of cookware and utensils on a poorly constructed chalkboard and having the student state what each shape was.   When they did well, the whole class sang a song and celebrated their accomplishent.  As one little girl got to the shape of a knife, Ryan clearly couldn’t stand the anticipation, so he shouted out in a loud, “KNIFE”  to which the teacher looked at him and told him to “let the student answer.”  Haaaa….busted! 

After the class visits with each grade level, we were given a tour.  The classrooms were overcrowded and in very poor condition.  Most of them get very hot when its hot and cold when its cold due to the fact that they are made out of wood and tin.  We also got to see the bathrooms that we paid for sitting there still needing a roof and interior finishing.  They were still inoperable so that they school of 160 students is still using 2 toilets.

Two very sweet ladies cooked the food and drinks for “tea time” and the kids came in one by one and took their food back to their classrooms.

After seeing the needs for expanded space, insulated classrooms, toilet constructions completion, painting, a scholarship program for kids who can’t pay school fees, and a place for the teachers to have a break once in a while (they work very hard with these kids and they love them deeply),  I was overwhelmed and knew that this could be fixed easily.

We were then wisked away to the church “auditorium” really an open air assembly area where each grade performed a song from their music class for us as their “special guests.”  We heard songs about how much Jesus loves them and who they are in Jesus.  We also heard songs that were used to teach them about HIV/AIDS and a song entitled “Diseases.”  I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, but it makes sense when you stop and remember that many of these children have lost their parents to AIDS…many of them recently.

The day ended with a meal amongst Pastor Peter, Pastor Jo-el, Martin, Ryan, Ric and myself.  We sat and dreamed about the “City on a Hill” that God is building through GCF and VWS.  We talked about what they needed, what we needed, and how with each others help, we would be a light to the world through our ministries. 

I LOVE THIS PLACE…AND I LOVE THESE PEOPLE!  It is really as simple as that.  God is here!

Tomorrow, we interview the staff, conduct a water outreach in the heart of the community that surrounds the school, and hang out with families in the neighborhood.  Man…can it get any better than this? 

I am such a rich man who can see more clearly each day what the “Kingdom of God” looks like. 

10 comments:

Virgie said...

Hey Tim! Oh man, I just read all of your stories to date. Gosh, I can see that God is totally rocking your world. Wonderful! It's funny how we think that we are going to go an minister to and serve the poor... and WE are the ones who get so totally blasted. I have always been amazed and so impressed by how happy - truly happy and content the poorest people in the world are. It's like THEY have it figured out. The joy of the Lord is all over them!

We're praying for you - constantly! So glad to hear your super stories! God is SO, SO good!! Love you all! Give my dear little Doan girl a giant hug from me, will ya?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a great trip, Tim. No matter how much you see poverty, you never really get used to it. But that's a good thing...getting "used" to things means you've become complacent. And we all know the evils of that...

PS. Tell the rest of the group I said hi. I want a detailed description of the trip from Ric when I get home...

cinciann said...

Those kids are so beautiful. Thanks for the pictures...

I've been trying to live vicariously through your blogposts and know that I can't begin to really feel what you guys are feeling...but God is reaching across the world and touching my heart through your stories and pictures! Keep 'em coming!

Kelly said...

Hi Tim,
My heart melted as I looked at the pictures of those beautiful children. I can see God in those little faces. Thinking and praying for you all often.

DanThoms said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DanThoms said...

Tell Ryan I said good job on knowing what a knife is. I knew he could do it. I must admit, reading this made me a bit teary and I'm as manly as they come :)

Maria said...

Tim,
These pictures of the children makes me teary eye and reminds me of my teaching years. I wish I was there to teach all those children! Love the pics keep them coming!
PS- Tell Carrie and Ryan that Peggy (Carrie's mom)misses them a lot! FYI!

Helen Ann said...

I love reading these updates! Almost makes me want to lay down my reservations and dislike of flying and go somewhere far far away to see what Jesus is up to 'round the world!

Ryan pulled one of my pet peeves as a teacher. I'm glad he was corrected! hahahaha!

You guys rock!

God is GOOD!

Anonymous said...

Tim- This is amazing. The people of Africa are amazing, and pull on my heart. I wish I was there with you guys. However, since I can't be, I'm willing to do whatever I can from Cincinnati. My prayers are with you guys.

Anonymous said...

Been reading your blog daily, Tim. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and the pictures. I'll keep on praying for you guys, and for the GCF.

God is good...all the time